Event Date: Sunday, April 5th
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and nationwide encouragement of social responsibility to avoid large gatherings until the crisis is resolved, the Bonebrake and Landwehr families have collectively made the tough decision to change the format of the 2020 San Diego 5K for Healthy Kidneys. Members of their own families are included in the at-risk categories, as are many members of our Alport community. Naturally, the health and safety of all members of the renal community is their priority and also the priority of Alport Syndrome Foundation.
With that in mind, the following is the new plan for an all Virtual 5K:
- The Pacific Beach in-person 5K event will no longer be taking place, as originally scheduled.
- Instead, we encourage you all to run/walk/stroll a 5K (3.1 miles) on April 5th as planned in your own neighborhood or wherever you feel comfortable. If this date doesn’t work, please choose another date in April. Some of you had already signed up to join us virtually, so we’ll all be joining you.
- We are confident you’ll follow through on your 5K, so we will be mailing all registrants the event t-shirt, medal, and ASF awareness bracelet.
- Please send us a photo wearing your Alport Syndrome Foundation “swag” and we’ll happily share it in our messaging. In lieu of gathering in person, we can at least share our race digitally! Send photos to [email protected] and/or tag us in your social media (see below).
- To help build awareness of Alport syndrome and living with kidney disease, please post your photo/selfie using #ASFSD5K
- New 5K registrants: Email images of your race participation to [email protected] to receive a race medal and awareness bracelet post-race.
We considered postponing. However, rather than competing with other priorities and rescheduled events in your life, we hope you’ll understand our goal to simplify and encourage your own personal 5K run or walk. We hope you’ll join us in person next year for the 2021 San Diego 5K For Healthy Kidneys.
Your virtual 5K registration fee supports Alport Syndrome Foundation’s programs and services for people living with the challenges of Alport syndrome. This includes our 2020 Alport Connect Together Family Meeting, our staff and web resources, outreach, and education to medical professionals to support early and accurate diagnosis, administration of our Research Program, and much more. Thank you for your support and understanding.
$20,000 Matching Gift Campaign: Make a gift in support of the San Diego Virtual 5K For Healthy Kidneys, and it will be matched by a generous anonymous donor through April 5, 2020! This doubles your gift!
ASF is grateful for Champion of Awareness sponsor Watkins Wellness for their continued support.
Questions about the 5K changes? Email us.