Alport Syndrome Forum

Gee, I could have been dead by now. . .

Dialysis and Transplant - is that it?

Gee, I could have been dead by now. . .

by mad_bookworm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:58 pm

I have real issues with the local Emergency Room. I and several family members have been there. They have endless records on us. But do they ever refer to those records? I think not.

I was having severe stomach pain (never diagnosed, by the way) on Sunday afternoon. So my husband took me to the ER. Every time somebody saw me, they would say, "______(somebody else) will be in shortly." Well, "Shortly" was NEVER - not once - less than
an hour. I was supposed to have an abdominal CT scan with contrast medium. I drank the contrast stuff.

When they took me (shortly) to the actual CT scan room, and the lady hooked up the IV tube for that stuff that makes you feel warm all over, I thought to ask, "They DID tell you I have renal failure and you are only supposed to give me a half dose of that stuff, right?" She had no clue. She called the radiologist, who apparently assumed I had no idea what I was talking about, and said "Give her the full dose." But she had a funny feeling about it and called on head ER doc, who said, "Don't give her ANY." So I didn't even get the half-dose, which I had been looking forward to as I was chilled and that stuff makes you feel warmer, at least for a little while.

They didn't find anything. I was sent home with a referral to yet another doctor, whom I didn't know and probably won't go to see, because if his name is any indication, I haven't had much luck with others of his ethnic persuasion - and anyway, I feel better now. Besides, I don't have much more money to spend just now on things medical.

Guess I'm kind of disgusted with the medical profession just now. Why bother to keep records if they don't refer to them???

Sorry. Just venting.
mad_bookworm

Return to Treatments